Is Desk Right for Me?
People look to DESK for a variety of reasons:
- I want to school my children from home. Does your family have a full understanding of what is needed to support this type of schooling? Parents of students enrolled full-time in K-9 courses are required to support their children's learning. In grades 10-12, the parental commitment shifts to supporting the senior student in getting the full benefit of distributed learning.
- I am considering enrolling at DESK in the full-time, high school program. DESK offers a flexible option for the self motivated, secondary school learner. Parents begin to be less accountable for supervision of student learning as students progress through high school because student self-discipline and the ability to self monitor and regulate grow in importance.
- I am considering taking courses at DESK in conjunction with my regular high school program. It is important to view the student’s regular high school and DESK as a team working together to achieve the best results for the student. Students work together with a teacher and/or counsellor to develop a coordinated approach to their learning and must be aware of meeting commitments to both learning partners.
- I am considering DESK as the full-time K-9 school for my children. Parents must realistically assess whether of not their family situation will help bring about the success of a DESK learner. Supervision, a keen interest in answering your child’s questions, and access to technology are all basic starting points if you wish to consider DESK as the full-time schooling option for your elementary-aged child.
- I have a medical situation that dictates an extended period of time away from my regular school. DESK is a flexible option for students who may be kept out of the traditional school environment for an extended period due to medical reasons.
- Students abroad. Enhance an opportunity to travel abroad with courses through DESK. Students can both travel and remain on track with their schooling via DESK. Parents have peace of mind knowing innovative courses meet all provincial standards and are administered and delivered by committed and experienced distance education professionals.
- I am committed to a high-level athletic program. Students who have an opportunity to participate in sports programs that take them away from their regular high school will find that DESK offers flexibility and support to meet their unique needs.
- I am an adult considering taking a course at DESK. Adult learners are welcome at DESK. Whether you are considering earning your high school diploma, upgrading for a career change, or taking a general interest course, DESK has many options waiting for you to explore.
Keys to successful online learning
It helps if you have:
- Good support at home. Distributed learning requires a commitment from the entire family to help provide the environment that leads to online learning success. Often this is as simple as respecting “quiet times” for study or an understanding from parents that they will be actively involved in their child’s success.
- Time management skills and good study habits. One of the key benefits of online learning is flexibility and choice in managing when you complete your coursework. However, this requires a certain amount of discipline in ensuring that assignments are completed in a timely fashion. As well, it helps if the student has a basic understanding of what constitutes good study habits.
- Self-direction. You may find it difficult to maintain pace and focus if you are used to a traditional classroom approach. DESK provides exceptional tools to help you continually gauge your progress.
- Basic computer literacy.